What to do in Lisbon? 5 different places to see

Lisbon has mixed reviews, it’s fair to say. The city seems to divide opinion but I found much to like during a visit back in January. It didn’t hurt that the sun shone all the time; sometimes the weather can be quite overcast but we were lucky. It’s easy to get around on Lisbon’s buses, metro and trams.

Peacock at botanic garden, Lisbon

Our first stop was the Botanic Gardens, near the waterfront in Belem. Although they aren’t as grand or well-maintained as some, there was still plenty to see during a 30 minute stroll, including an unexpected flock of peacocks!

SG209750

Next we wandered over to the discoveries monument, marking the many Portuguese explorers who set sail for faraway lands on a voyage of discovery.

We stopped for a quick lunch before visiting the Torre de Belem, a small but fascinating fortification right on the water. Look out for the rhino carved in the intricate southern façade, a momento of an actual live rhinoceros which was brought ashore nearby as a diplomatic gift for the king in the 16th century.

Torre de Belenn

I really liked this stretch of waterfront, it’s a good place to just sit and people watch for a while. Before hopping on a tram to Comercio Square we took a quick look inside the Jeronimos monastery church.

SG209757

SG209801

Before changing trams we took some time to look around the square, full of people enjoying the unexpected warmth. The ice rink looked somehow out of place!

SG209821

Our final stop was the Castle of St George, sitting proudly on one of Lisbon’s seven hills. It offers a great viewpoint over the city as the sun starts to set.

SG209836

Have you been to Lisbon? Did you like the city or did you have a different experience?

I’m linking this post up with a new travel blog hop, #wanderfulwednesday. Find the hosts of this at the sites below and join in every Wednesday at 8am GMT.

Marcella : www.whatawonderfulworld.co

Lauren : www.laurenonlocation.com

Van : www.snowintromso.com

Isabel : www.thesunnysideofthis.com

One thought on “What to do in Lisbon? 5 different places to see

1. June 21, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Great photos of Lisbon!

• Claire
      June 21, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Thank you!

2. June 22, 2016 at 5:59 pm

I had no idea that Lisbon had mixed reviews! It’s one of my favorite cities in Europe. I was absolutely in love when I visited and I can’t wait to go back! The view from St. George’s Castle was one of my favorites :D

• Claire
      June 22, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I think I prefer Porto, but I did like Lisbon a lot more than I expected!

3. June 23, 2016 at 8:52 am

Yes, I’ve been:) and totally loved it:) #wanderful wednesday

4. June 23, 2016 at 9:48 am

I’ve never been to Portugal but everyone seems to be talking about the country right now and I can definitely see why – it seems stunning!

5. June 25, 2016 at 4:05 am

I’ve always heard such great things about Lisbon, and it’s somewhere that I would LOVE to go to… asap in fact! Love the architecture snaps you took :)

6. June 27, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Love your pictures! And love how Lisbon is gaining momentum, you brought me back to our trip!! <3 So lovely!